Window Box Coordinator
Work Type/s: Volunteer, Casual
Classification/s: Arts & Media, Design, Community Services & Development
Sector/s: Not For Profit (NFP)
Location: Sydney – Redfern
Hours: Casual variable
Days: Monthly installs – Monday & Sunday
Report to: Creative Program Manager
About the role
Would you like to coordinate and curate a mini art exhibition for emerging artists and display your own artwork?
107 Projects is looking for an enthusiastic volunteer who can help organise two window box spaces. The window boxes are street facing, can be viewed 24/7, and showcase an array of mediums including sculpture, textiles, ceramics, painting, drawing, design performance and sound. The artwork displayed are the first exhibits people see when walking into our creative hub. As the Window Box Coordinator, you will be responsible for contacting artists, coordinating installation dates, overseeing installations, and obtaining social media copy and imagery.
Keep in mind, art should exist as a dynamic part of its local social ecosystem, and in supporting diverse locally relevant, experimental and emerging artists. The right person will help and guide the artists on how to install in this space specifically and have the opportunity to produce installation artworks for their own personal art practice.
Reporting to Creative Program Manager, you will keep lines of communication open between management, artists and other volunteers. Days required are Mondays for installation and Sundays for pack down for monthly exhibitions, however if you are unable to commit to these particular days, please apply and provide your availability. And whether you have experience or none at all in this area, it’s ok, we can provide a few weeks of on-the-job training with the outlook from you to commit a minimum of six months to this volunteer position.
We pride ourselves on cultivating spaces for all kinds of creatives to thrive. The right person will promote and encourage the organisation’s values and practices, as well as embracing artists from local and international communities.
Experience & Primary Responsibilities
- Contact new and existing artists
- Ensure artists’ details, documentation and agreements are updated
- Manage communications and enquiries between 107 Projects and the artists
- Supply artists’ social media / web copy and imagery to the Communications Manager
- Manage the installation and removal of artwork
- Manage pricing requirements with artists
- Field public enquiries relating to the window box and its artists
- Assist with lighting
- Liaise with the Volunteer Manager and other volunteers
- Clean windows (inside and out) when necessary
- Painting and maintenance of the window boxes when necessary
- Produce installation artwork of your personal art practice
- Administrative task: fill out ‘end of shift’ feedback form (monthly)
- Knowledgeable in creative and visual arts, exhibitions and installation
- Knowledgeable in social media content and file formats
- Basic computer skills – Google Docs, internet and email
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent communication
- Ability to comfortably use hand held power tools
- Can work independently and collaboratively
- Experience in curitoral management
As a volunteer position, the volunteer agrees to perform tasks of their own free will, no remuneration is to be given. From time to time there may be access to free tickets, opportunities and invitations to participate in programs and events.
About 107 Projects
107 Projects is a creative community organisation advancing culture in Sydney. 107 Projects promotes, plans, presents and produces arts and cultural community development initiatives. We connect the arts, education and business to make social change and encourage people to live creatively. Our services include operating two facilities in Redfern and Green Square, public art activations, placemaking and creative projects.
At the heart of 107 Projects is a diverse range of staff and volunteers from various backgrounds and experience helping deliver creative programs, maintain building essentials and administration. Volunteers are fundamental to 107 Projects’ ongoing commitment to community engagement and future growth. Whether you are a seasoned pro or a new volunteer member, your contribution is vital and highly valued.
For more details on this and other volunteer positions, 107 Projects invites you to an information session, which is held once a month. Please note: if your application has been successful attending an information session is mandatory and will be a part of your induction. For more info, dates and to attend go to Eventbrite!.
If you have the ability to coordinate artists and install work in a dynamic setting, apply here with a copy of your resume.