Work Type/s: Volunteer, Part Time
Classification/s: Gardening, Maintenance, Aquaponics, Permaculture, Horticulture
Sector/s: Not For Profit (NFP)
Location: Redfern, Sydney
Hours: Casual: 4-8 hours per week (variable)
Report to: Head of Gardening
About the role
Are you a gardening enthusiast with a creative flair for design, ecosystems and aquaponics?
107 Projects is looking for a part time volunteer Gardening Coordinator who can manage the upkeep of our existing permaculture rooftop garden. Located in the heart of Redfern and above 107 Projects bustling creative hub sits a rooftop oasis that requires ongoing care and maintenance from a passionate gardener with a very green thumb.
The Gardening Coordinator will be responsible for maintaining, growing and cultivating various plant varieties, herbs and a thriving fishpond on a weekly basis. This role reports to the Head of Gardening and will be responsible for regular communication between management and other volunteer gardeners.
Experience & Primary Responsibilities
- Manage and be responsible for casual volunteer gardeners
- Manage and maintain the permaculture garden
- Introducing new plant varieties
- Responsible for cutting, pruning and potting
- Responsible for feeding fish and maintaining the aquaponic system / fishpond
- Safe treatment and oiling of rooftop decks / seating
- Liaise with the Volunteer Manager for special rooftop events
- Liaise with the Volunteer Manager when on-boarding new casual volunteers
- Manage and maintain pot plants throughout the building
- Manage and maintain planter boxes at street front
- Administrative task: fill out ‘end of shift’ feedback form (monthly)
- Experience in gardening and maintenance of more than 2 years
- Experience in sustainable practices and compost
- Experience in permaculture and aquaponics
- Knowledgeable in non-toxic chemicals and ecosystems
- Basic computer skills – internet and email
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent communication
- Can work independently and collaboratively
- Experience in landscaping
As a volunteer position, the volunteer agrees to perform tasks of their own free will, no remuneration is to be given. From time to time there may be access to free tickets, opportunities and invitations to participate in programs and events.
About 107 Projects
107 Projects is a creative community organisation advancing culture in Sydney. 107 Projects promotes, plans, presents and produces arts and cultural community development initiatives. We connect the arts, education and business to make social change and encourage people to live creatively. Our services include operating two facilities in Redfern and Green Square, public art activations, placemaking and creative projects.
At the heart of 107 Projects is a diverse range of staff and volunteers from various backgrounds and experience helping deliver creative programs, maintain building essentials and administration. Volunteers are fundamental to 107 Projects’ ongoing commitment to community engagement and future growth. Whether you are a seasoned pro or a new volunteer member, your contribution is vital and highly valued.
For more details on this and other volunteer positions, 107 Projects invites you to an information session, which is held once a month. Please note: if your application has been successful attending an information session is mandatory and will be a part of your induction. For more info, dates and to attend go to Eventbrite!.
How to apply
If you want to work in an urban rooftop oasis, care for a permaculture garden and be surrounded by creative people and plants, apply here with a copy of your resume.