Work Type/s: Volunteer, Casual
Classification/s: Arts & Media, Design, Community Services & Development
Sector/s: Not For Profit (NFP)
Location: Sydney – Redfern
Hours: minimum 6 hours per fortnight
Days: Tuesday / Wednesday
Report to: Venue Manager
About the role
Do you have an eye for detail and a whiz at using hand held tools?
107 Projects is looking for a volunteer Gallery Assistant who will be tasked with maintaining some of the operational aspects of the exhibition spaces on a fortnightly basis in line with exhibition install dates, including; exhibition wall repairs, painting, artwork handling, artwork installation, gallery lighting, the artwork catalogue, data entry, and sold artwork storage. From time to time you may be required to help with other duties relating to the broader venue and event areas.
This role reports to the Venue Manager and you will be responsible for regular communication between management, artists and other volunteers. The right person will work with our diverse artistic community and establish a good rapport with all participants and the public.
Whether you have experience or none at all in this area, it’s ok, we can provide a few weeks of on-the-job training with the outlook from you to commit a minimum of six months to this volunteer position.
Experience & Primary Responsibilities
- Preparing exhibition walls; patching and painting
- Maintaining sold artwork storage spaces
- Liaising with the Creative Program Manager to generate floor sheets and process sold artworks
- Operating gallery track lighting
- Maintaining gallery equipment and consumables
- Liaising with exhibiting artists to enter artwork details for a printed catalogue
- Administrative task: fill out ‘end of shift’ feedback form (fortnightly)
- Experience in software programs: Google Suite, Excel
- Experience using hand held power tools
- Excellent organisational and time management skills
- Can work independently and collaboratively
- Good knowledge of safe artwork handling procedures
- Good level of written and verbal communication
- High attention to detail
- High level of spacial and visual awareness
- Ability to lift up to 10kg unassisted
- Ability to work unsupervised
- Ability to problem solve
- Ability to comfortably use a ladder (under 2m)
- Ability to comfortably use hand held power tools
- Basic knowledge in Adobe Creative Suite, Xero
- Basic knowledge of audio-visual technical support
- Understanding of visual arts and creative practices
- Experience in gallery and exhibition procedures
As a volunteer position, the volunteer agrees to perform tasks of their own free will, no remuneration is to be given. From time to time there may be access to free tickets, opportunities and invitations to participate in programs and events.
About 107 Projects
107 Projects is a creative community organisation advancing culture in Sydney. 107 Projects promotes, plans, presents and produces arts and cultural community development initiatives. We connect the arts, education and business to make social change and encourage people to live creatively. Our services include operating two facilities in Redfern and Green Square, public art activations, placemaking and creative projects.
At the heart of 107 Projects is a diverse range of staff and volunteers from various backgrounds and experience helping deliver creative programs, maintain building essentials and administration. Volunteers are fundamental to 107 Projects’ ongoing commitment to community engagement and future growth. Whether you are a seasoned pro or a new volunteer member, your contribution is vital and highly valued.
For more details on this and other volunteer positions, 107 Projects invites you to an information session, which is held once a month. Please note: if your application has been successful attending an information session is mandatory and will be a part of your induction. For more info, dates and to attend go to Eventbrite!.
How to apply
If you would like to create an artistic and functional exhibition space, meet amazing artists, and work within a diverse range of community members, apply here with a copy of your resume.