Work Type/s: Volunteer, Casual
Classification/s: Arts & Media, Design, Community Services & Development
Sector/s: Not For Profit (NFP)
Location: Sydney – Redfern, Green Square (Zetland), and offsite event spaces
Hours: Casual, Events Based (variable)
Report to: Events Manager
About the program
107 Projects invites members of the community from all age groups and ethnicities to join in and have fun by getting together and creating and participating in various art events. Events and Workshops range from comedy and theatre performance, art exhibitions, life drawing, calligraphy and poetry, painting, kids coding, and much more. For events and workshops, 107 Projects provides the materials, space and support to try out new things in a friendly and safe environment. To support our attendees, we are looking for Events Invigilators who would love to support these community gatherings. The Redfern and Green Square sites are accessible and close to public transport.
About the role
Event Invigilators have a key role in upholding the integrity of the organisation. As an Event Invigilator you will be responsible for a variety of tasks depending on the event, this may include directing audience members to a performance, assisting with set up/clean up and organisation of supplies for a workshop, assisting attendees to and from various parts of the venus and maintaining the vision and values of 107 Projects.
You will be one of the faces of 107 Projects, a warm and welcoming attitude is key when liaising with participants, they may ask for creative guidance, directions, and about 107 Projects’s other events. We ask that you be confident in providing information about 107 Projects, or knowing where to find out from our internal resources and the 107 Projects website.
This is a causal role with most workshops and events running for approximately three hours at a time. Events such as Art Somewhere have a set schedule each fortnight, while other events may run several weeks or months in a row or be one-off. After expressing interest as an Events Invigilator, and attending a 107 volunteers information evening you will be added to a vollie list. When an event is organised, the events Manager will reach out to volunteers based on their availabilities. You will need to organise your own travel to and from the site or offsite event space, however once you are at the venue everything is provided for you, just bring yourself.
Experience & Primary Responsibilities
- Set up workshop and events spaces,
- Use of an iPad/laptop for attendee list check in.
- Responsible for taking down details of participants not on the attendee list
- Introducing participants to each other and to Event Organisers.
- Guiding attendees around the premises, knowing directions and locations for lifts, bathrooms, and refreshments.
- Responsible for cleaning and tidying materials as needed.
- Responsible for packing down equipment and making the space ready for the next event.
- Administrative task: fill out ‘end of shift’ feedback form.
- Basic computer skills- setting up an iPad/laptop and using the internet.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills.
- A passion for people and community.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Enjoy working collaboratively with volunteers and staff.
- Basic skills using online software – Eventbrite and Google forms
- Basic experience using a digital camera.
- Passion for arts, performance, coding, creativity, comedy.
- Previous experience supporting a community event or organisation.
- Working with Children Check.
As a volunteer position, the volunteer agrees to perform tasks of their own free will, no remuneration is to be given. From time to time there may be access to free tickets, opportunities and invitations to participate in programs and events.
About 107 Projects
107 Projects is a creative community organisation advancing culture in Sydney. 107 Projects promotes, plans, presents and produces arts and cultural community development initiatives. We connect the arts, education and business to make social change and encourage people to live creatively. Our services include operating two facilities in Redfern and Green Square, public art activations, placemaking and creative projects.
At the heart of 107 Projects is a diverse range of staff and volunteers from various backgrounds and experience helping deliver creative programs, maintain building essentials and administration. Volunteers are fundamental to 107 Projects’ ongoing commitment to community engagement and future growth. Whether you are a seasoned pro or a new volunteer member, your contribution is vital and highly valued.
For more details on this and other volunteer positions, 107 Projects invites you to an information session, which is held once a month. Please note: if your application has been successful attending an information session is mandatory and will be a part of your induction. For more info, dates and to attend go to Eventbrite!.