Humanitarian Clowning: Weekend Workshop
WHEN: 10am-4pm, 12 Jun 2021 – 13 Jun 2021
COST: Full price - $265pp, early bird discount (until 1 March) - $217pp
TICKETS: Book now
WHERE: 107 Redfern St, Redfern
Welcome to creative & absurd experiments for empowered clown play in direct action towards social justice and healing.
In clowning and clown training we can engage movement, parade and laughter to alleviate pain and suffering, and to remind us of our humanity. Clown figures exist to liberate the oppressed, the sick, the isolated, the incarcerated through self-empowerment, raising awareness, and most importantly play.
This is an intensive clown lab that makes my heart burst with delight and that I am really honoured to be able to explore with you. My vision is to create a safe place for positive change to occur, to restore our connections to each other and create more resilient, healthier and socially cohesive communities.
Can the clown align with a political point of view? Let’s find out.
Together in two days, we will explore:
- Integrating the art of clowning as a medium of intervention and healing through fun and laughter.
- How the clown’s logic can reveal an existing problem, expose ‘truths’, highlight an alternative, demonstrate a new possible solution - non-violently and legally.
- The role of a ‘rebel’ clown in direct action. How does the clown participate in political protests and anti-authoritarian movements?
- The clown chorus / gang of clowns
- The power of song, music, parades, dance and banners
- Playing with costume and make up